Suggest treatment for nasal congestion
I am suffering from nose block and running nose from couple of weeks. So visited ENT specialist in my locality. I have been advised to do CT PNS scan and follow a surgery (Bilateral Ethmoidal Polyp).
I would like to know, only surgery is the one solution or can i try some homeopathy/ayurbed treatment.
Please suggest !!!
Thanks and kind regards
Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern.
1. duration of symptoms [couple of weeks] of nasal congestion could be due to: . viral infection (the common cold) but allergies [allergic rhinitis], influenza, and sinus infections also may cause these symptoms. [ethmoidal in your case]
2. Since you were examined by ENT specialist, hopefully he/she must have ruled out anatomical obstructions (e.g. a deviated nasal septum, foreign bodies) which may lead to nasal congestion.
3. Any associated toothache, headache, eye strain, facial pain and pressure, nasal discharge, poor sense of smell, bad breath?
4. Examine with a Chest Specialist to rule out Asthma which is one cause of polyps and get second opinion from ENT Doctor to rule out Chronic Rhinosinusitis.
PS. Asthma, Eczema and Allergic rhinits are known together as atopic conditions. A tendency to atopy can run in families. [any family history??]
5. Since your attending Doctor must have given due consideration in taking up your case and providing medical and surgical options.
6. In Ayurveda I usually manage my patient on the line of 'Jirna Pratishyaya':
.Avoid:heavy, slimy and acidic food, curd, mustard oil, excess physical exertion, sunlight-dust areas, exposure to strong winds, day sleeping, smoking,potato, green leafy vegetables, cold water/food
.Take: old brown rice, soup of moong dal, black grapes, cow’s or goat milk, garlic, lukewarm water to drink, black pepper, dried ginger, honey, mulethi, launga
. Take Raw ginger+ raw turmeric: [2 gm each] and fry in cow’s ghee [6 gm] and thereafter add 6 gm jaggery and take at bed time [during night]
. Successful prescription for you will be
i. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX ras+ shringa bhasma+ Shuddha man shila+ madhuyashti/ sitopladi churan.
ii. Chitrak haritki: at bed time
iii. Vyoshadi churan: after meals, two times
iv. Syrup Septilin or bresol syrup 5 ml thrice a day
You can contact an Ayurveda Physician there for the Dosage recommendations
. In Ayurveda we hold that nose is the gateway to head, thus start practicing NASYA [errhine therapy], after consulting/guidance of an Ayurveda physician [with shadbindu tail]
. Take high protein diet ( egg (white), soyamilk, pumpkin, squash, watermelon, peanuts, almonds, if non-vegetarian (meat) are choices , legumes, sprouted pulses/cereals, milk with protein powder [since blockage of nose is an issue thus yogurt and beans are not recommended] and deep breathing Exercises [anulom vilom]
i. Vitamin A: helps to maintain Thymus gland which is a powerful antiviral gland: thus XXXXXXX carrots, cantaloupe, egg yolk, apricots, pumpkin, papaya, are ideal.
ii. Vitamin C: is needed for proper functioning of immune system: amla is best
iii. Vitamin E: is a powerful anti oxidant which helps to stimulate antibody production: peanuts, dried apricots, cooked spinach, taro root can be taken
iv. Vitamin B is important for the activity of phagocytes: eggs, cheese, pistachio, raw garlic, sunflower and sesame oil.
PS. Since the problem is mainly Surgical in any XXXXXXX even in Ayurveda it is screened under 'Shalya Tantra [surgery branch] for better management, but Preventive Aspect has been initiated which can be incorporated in your daily routine, in the mean time have regular visit/follow up with your doctor for further possible outcome.
Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant & Physician
I am proving you few details below to your questions:
> I never had toothache, headache, eye strain, facial pain and pressure, nasal discharge but got poor sense of smell and bad breath through nose.
> Asthma not been a case, neither me nor family members.
> I had undergone treatment for dust allergy.
I am in confusion state, so please confirm, Ayurveda will cure this completely and no need of surgery.
Thanks and kind regards,
Preventive & Prophylaxis.
Thanks for reverting back.
1. Since you are not willing to undergo Surgery, thus preventive & Prophylactic Aspect is mentioned:
. Drink liquid-based hot vegetables in form of soup which will help liquefy mucus and promote nasal drainage, thus helping the sinuses restore to their normal state.
. Do not consume any beverages containing caffeine because these beverages can lead to dehydration and increased nasal congestion.
2. Nasya [pratimarsh] can be followed daily without any complications after consulting an Ayurveda physician, and if you find it difficult to incorporate/ practice then ask how to perform Jal Neti.
PS. Rubber Neti is not a good option in your case.
i. Nardiya XXXXXXX XXXXXXX ras is prescribed for diseases above the Neck [and nose is one such organ] so is effective [make sure you take it either with tambul svaras, honey or milk].. take 1 tablet thrice a day [after meals]
ii. Vyosadi vati again is drug of choice in pratishyaya [make sure you take it with hot water].. 2 tablets twice daily [before meals]
iii. Syrup Septilin is having Immunomodulators thus helps in strenghtening the Immune system.
1. There is no known effective therapy for smell problems, but optimal management which can be practiced/tried is/are:
. Steam inhalation, Jal Neti, Nasya
. zinc supplement(s) is/are crucial in maintaining normal smell function. [Meats, seafood, dairy products, nuts, legumes, and whole grains has high levels of zinc.]
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What treatment is suggested for intense nasal congestion
- Suggest treatment for nasal congestion
- Suggest treatment for nasal congestion due to sinus
- Treatment and cure for chronic nasal congestion
- Suggest treatment for severe nasal congestion
- Is bromfed used in the treatment of nasal congestion?
- Treatment and cure for Nasal congestion
- Suggest treatment for earache with nasal congestion
- Suggest treatment for cough and nasal congestion
- Treatment and cure for rebound nasal congestion
- Bleeding from anus after passing stools, frequent smelly bowel movements...
- Child's skin becoming darker with little sun exposure. Stool is always...
- Suffered from Malaria, Chicken pox and skin problems. How keep myself...
- Underweight. Taking Ayruvedic treatment. No improvement. Suggest
- Have dry skin and soryasis symptoms on head. Has white spots on legs....
- Frequently suffer with dehydration. How can I overcome it?
- Suffering from Varicose veins in leg with swelling and pain which causes...
- Frequently getting cold and fever. How to gain weight and increase...
- Uderweight and having poor appetite. Started vomiting while eating. Help?
- What are the benefits of using baal amrit?