Suggest treatment for nasal congestion, ear pain and popping sensation in the ear

Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have nasal congestion, ear pain and almost constant ear clicking/popping. Every day I have post-nasal drip that causes belching which is annoying and actually painful. Nothing has helped. I have seen ENT specialist and naturopath, tried every OTC medication I can find. I have tried about a dozen Rx meds, nothing helps. I don't know what to do.
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Might need to have a CT scan and Endoscopic Sinus Surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for posting your query on health care magic.

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern.

Looking at your symptoms,you are suffering from Chronic Sinusitis leading to chronic post nasal drip,nasal congestion,ear pain and ear popping(due to Eustachian tube blockage which connects the ear with the nose).

You might also be suffering from Acid reflux,which may be a factor in causing chronic sinusitis.

You have tried all medicines.
Also take an Antacid like Pantoprazole.

I would advise you to have a CT scan PNS(Paranasal Sinus)-which will help to tell that which sinuses are involved,what is the intensity of involvement of sinuses,anatomic obstruction sites in the nose and sinuses which obstruct in the drainage of sinuses .

You will also need to consult an ENT specialist Doctor.He/She may do Nasal Endoscopic examination of your nose.
If needed ,after the CT scan and Endoscopic findings,Surgery might be needed.
It is Endoscopic Nasal Sinus Surgery.It is a minimally invasive surgery-in which the obstructing anatomical sites and removed and blocked sinus opening are opened which will provide ventilation to the sinuses and also drainage of the sinuses.

Hope this answers your question.I would be happy to answer if you have any follow-up questions.Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Riddhi Shah 7 hours later
When I saw an ENT specialist, he did a nasal scope and saw no issues.
This has been going on for 15 months now, and nothing has helped. My symptoms are the same no matter what season of the year.
My symptoms are worse when riding in an auto. I know that seems very strange, but it is true.
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
CT scan Sinuses will help in diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for your reply.

Nasal Endoscopy and CT scan are complementary to reach at a diagnosis.

Nasal Endoscopy would not be able to find out the obstructing sites of sinus opening,about which sinuses are involved and what is the intensity of sinus involvement.
I would advise you to have a CT scan Paranasal Sinuses -it will definitely help to reach a diagnosis.

Regarding your symptoms getting increasing when you travel in an auto-there might be a possibility that the atmospheric dust and even cold weather can stimulate increase mucus secretion from nose leading to increase in your symptoms.

Hope this answers your question.Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad