Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for nasal congestion due to sinus

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12734 Questions
Next month I will have 1 year of not smoking but for the past 4 or 5 months I have been suffering from nasal congestion sinus problems, scabs and crust in my nose and its really hard to breath through my nose at times. It wakes me up at night. I am constantly blowing my nose and picking thick scabs out of my nose. Also my nose is extremely dry at times which is when the scabs form. Can you help me.
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Avoid using decongestants. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. You have a dry nose which is causing the repeated built up of thick scabs in the nose creating breathing issues. Extremely hot or dry climates (as well as air conditioning) can result in your nose losing moisture and drying out. Dry nose is also a common side effect of certain medications, such as some antihistamines and decongestants. Nasal sprays that are used to relieve a nasal congestion can cause a dried out nose or rebound effect when they are overused. Upper respiratory infection (i.e., rhinitis) and hormonal changes also cause a drying out of mucous membranes in the nasal tissues. You need to turn down heat in your home and use a humidifier. Saline nose sprays can be found over the counter and can be used to keep the nasal membranes moistened. Petroleum jelly is very viscous and can easily be applied to the inside of your nose to help keep your nose dry. Avoid using the decongestants. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor