• question-icon

Suggest treatment for nasal congestion and tinnitus

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: The last couple of days, when I sit quietly, there is the rata tat tat in my left ear, like a helicopter blade. When I get up and move around it seems to disappear, but when I sit quietly, it starts again. I woke up at 5 am this morning because of a storm and it started agin while I was in bed. What's up Doc?

Also to let you know, when I put my hand over my ear, the symptom stops. As soon as I remove my hand, it starts again. My husband kidded with me I'm picking up some wifi signal or something, but it's no joke for me.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
You are having tinnitus. Please tell me do you have any histiry of nasal congestion or throat infection in the recent past?
Any history of loud noise exposure or trauma to the ear?
Any hearing loss?
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
It did start the day after the 4th of July. I did go to a city fireworks display, but they were in a distance and not unusually loud. We did have some loud firecrackers go off in our neighborhood, but again, not THAT loud. No, I have never had any infection problems with my nose or ears.
I'm walking around again this morning doing some staining work on my deck and I'm not having any symptoms. It has only been the last two days when I'm lying still, and again, when I gently, no pressure, put my hand over my ear, the sound disappears. It's like I'm blocking something from outside my body from getting in. Is this something that may just pass?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
You should take tablet cinnarizine once daily and tablet vitamin b12 1500 micrograms once daily for a week.
Avoid any ear phones usage and excessive XXXXXXX phone usage.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available at prescription only.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist