Suggest treatment for nasal congestion and running nose

Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My left nostril runs all year round. How can I stop it?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergic rhinitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the query
According to your history you might be having allergic rhinitis.
Running nose for such a long duration is seen in Allergic rhinitis.
you will get this symptom immediately after coming into contact with an allergen.

You have to meet local ENT specialist to get the following test to get it diagnosed
A blood test, or radioallergosorbent test (RAST).

Treatment
You can take antihistamines to treat allergies like tablet Allegra (fexofenadine)
Zyrtec (cetirizine)

Prevention
Avoid the allergen like dust, mold , grass anything from which you are getting allergy.

Dr Priyanka G Raj

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka G Raj 19 hours later
Thanks for your prompt reply to my query.
I have taken fexotabs before and am currently taking cetirizine. but neither have solved the problem. I am a resident in a large modern nursing home in an urban setting and I think my environmental exposure to allergins would be minimal. Several months ago I changed my place of residence but this did not result in a change of my symptoms.
Years ago I found that ephedrine was very effective; but unfortunately it is no longer available in my case.
Consequently the problem continues unabated.
I have had several blood tests taken recently. Is the blood test required a special test? If so, could my GP order it? Thanks for your help. Jim Burfield.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
hi
Thanks for writing again.
You can meet up near by Allergy and immunologist, He can take your complete history and he can suggest some special test like radioallergosorbent test (RAST) etc.
Even though if you are residing in urban area, you would be allergic to any substance which you come across daily with it.
So continue tab cetrizine, but long term use is not recommended. Avoidance of allergen is the best treatment.

You can try these home remedies
1 Salt water is the best home remedy
Mix one-half teaspoon of table salt in two cups of distilled warm water.
Using a dropper, put a few drops of the solution into each nostril with your head
tilted back.
2 steam inhalation

If you have any doubts, you are most welcome

Dr Priyanka G Raj