Suggest treatment for nasal congestion and cough in a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: This is about my son XXXX. Age 4 Yrs.from last one month he got nasal congestion and coughing problem.The problem started as he had started to go to school at morning. The coughing gets terrible only at night. It gets so terrible that he vomits sometime at night.Primarily he was given general antibiotic syrup and other cough syrup.But now he is prescribed to take nebulizer with specific drug doases and Asthilin syrup.will it be right to continue with the prescribed medicines or should i take a second opinion before continuing? Please help.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get a Chest X ray done and upload the report.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics like Keflor (cefaclor) are ineffective in such cases. They can however be given if the doctor suspects superadded bacterial infections.

You need to give nebulization or steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion. Asthalin has a bronchodilator effect and would need to be given if there is wheezing or respiratory distress associated. Just sit with your child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. Use Nasoclear Saline Nasal Drops in case of nose block. Give Nasivion only if steam inhalation does not provide full relief. Use of this medicine is likely to increase the tendency of recurrence. Give Asthalin only if there is noisy breathing or respiratory distress.

If he has cough or nasal discharge give him some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for next few days. Montek LC Kid (monteleukast + levocetirizine) is a better medicine but is a prescription medication which can be given.

Let me know if I could help further.