Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

188 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for nasal bleeding

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 655 Questions
My brother blew his nose, heard a loud pop, and then his nose started bleeding. He says wasn’t painful but isn’t sure if he should see a doctor.
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Zotaj Antoneta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to see the doctor at the moment but see further advice

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

Nose bleeding happens very often with some minor trauma, in this case the blowing of the nose, and many times without a clear reason. Most of the times there is nothing to worry and the bleeding stops on its own in a few minutes.

When bleeding the person should keep his head in the position he keeps when he reads (not forward or backward) and keep both his nostrils for at least 15 minutes with his fingers and without interruption and it will stop bleeding.

If the bleeding happens again this is a common finding also especially when we have a viral infection that inflames our nose mucosa or when we blow our nose. If the bleeding stops in a few minutes and if no bruises in other areas of the skin and no teeth bleeding than there is no reason to worry.
If there are red spots on the skin, bruises and bleeding a lot while brushing the teeth than your brother might need to see a doctor to rule out important causes of bleeding.
Otherwise no need to see the doctor at the moment.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to reply in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist