Suggest treatment for nasal and throat congestion

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: My 10 year old son takes Clonidine for tics. He is congested (nasal and throat) what medicine can he take to help. I am not sure what mixes with Clonidine (i.e. Mucinex, Sudafed etc)
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pseudoephedrine or Phenylephrine Ok, Guaifenisen OK

Detailed Answer:
Sorry your son is congested.

I ran a search on drug interactions with Clonidine. The following medications were ok.

1. Pseudoephedrine (Brand name: "Sudafed Congestion"): Please make sure that the product you get ONLY has pseudoephedrine. I say this because it is often combined with other things like antihistamines which may not be ok.

Pseudoephedrine can be somewhat stimulating for some people, so if your son finds this to be the case, probably best not to give it in the evening.

You will have to ask for this formula at the pharmacy counter and might have to show an ID. You don't have to have a prescription.

OR (not both)

2. Phenylephrine (Brand name: "Sudafed PE Congestion"). Phenylephrine may be less stimulating so might be better for sleeping, but some people find that it is not as strong a decongestant compared with Pseudoephedrine. Again, only give a product with Pheynlephrine - not a combination formula with other meds in it.

3. Guaifenesin (Brand name Mucinex) - thins secretions. Again, Mucinex comes in formulas that are combinations of meds, so check to make sure it is only Guaifenesin.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can answer or clarify further on this topic.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh