Suggest treatment for nasal and chest congestion

Dr. Nagamani Ng

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my 1 month old baby is suffering from chest congestion and nose blockage due to cold .. He is trying to vomit while feeding .. He is not able to drink his feed due to congestion .. Is mucolite n otrivin nasal drops safe??
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nasivion S

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting the query,

You can use any saline nasal drops like Nasivion S or Otrivin S. Use 1 or 2 drops in each nostril 2 hourly once. And especially 15 minutes before feeding, so that the air way is clear while feeding and baby feeds with out any difficulty.

Apart from this you can use humidifier in the room.
Hold the baby near the steam or sit in the bathroom with hot water tap opened for 15 minutes.

You can use nasal aspirator after using the saline drops to remove all the mucous particles

Any issue do follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng