Suggest treatment for narcolepsy

Posted on Mon, 12 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I have narcolepsy and lost my dr when i moved having lots problems due to my illness can a dr help here
Answered by Dr. Alok Sinha 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you may get help.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for asking your health related query here.

Narcolepsy is a disorder of sleep that is characterised by two main symptoms-
1. Excessive day time sleepiness and frequent attacks of irresistible short sleep episodes during day time.
2. Poor quality of sleep at night with multiple awakenings.

Apart from these two there may be sudden loss of posture and inability to move just before falling asleep or soon after awakening.

I would like to know about your symptoms in details, so that I can help you better.
Please tell me since how long this illness you are having?
Secondly also provide information about your previous medications and total duration of treatment.

I am awaiting for your reply.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Alok Sinha 2 days later
I have had this problem for many years was diagnosed couple years ago and was doing fine w treatment but my husband changed jobs and we moved and lost my insurance im having hard time finding dr in my area that deals w my illness and takes cash i really need to get back on my meds can u hwlpin any way thanjs
Answered by Dr. Alok Sinha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may be helped with Adrafinil tablets/ powder.
Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up query.

Since you have lost your doctor, and also not able to find out another, the only way left is to prescribe you some drug that is available over the counter.Adrafinil is such a medicine that may be helpful specialy in your case.

The benefit of Adrafinil is that :-
1. It promoes wakefulness and alertness at day time. Thus it prevents episodes of sleep attack.
2. It can be purchased without medical prescription.
3. It can be also purchased online.

The initial dose is 150 mg at morning. You may increase the dose to 300 mg if needed after few days.

You may easily find out the seller on net by typing the word "Adrafinil".

Hope this helps you.
I wish you all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Alok Sinha 1 hour later
I think my doctor tried a similar drug last year starts w a m cant rem the rest but he talked w me concerning liver issues w both us why he chose adderall have you heard of dexedrine that didnt help 100 per cent but better thannwhere i am now im raising to grandchildren and w my narcolepsy and being 49 its getting really hard and im also experience paralysis while waking for few min at a time im just at a loss im christian been praying for a miracle lol God knows i need one. Thanks

I was on adderall 30mg the last 6months before moving after trying several others within few years
Answered by Dr. Alok Sinha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adderall and Dexedrine are not over the counter drugs.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up query.

For your illness Adderall or Dexedrine can be used. But the problem is that how to procure? These medicines are of stimulant group and highly regulated by law. A valid physical prescription is required to purchase these medicines from medical shops. As such you are finding it difficult to find out a suitable doctor for you. That is why, I prescribed another drug "Adrafinil".

For repeated paralysis during walk (Cataplexy), you may benefit with "Sodium Oxybate". But again it is a prescription drug. So till the time you get a suitable doctor, avoid going out for walk and try to find Adrafinil.

I wish you a better health.
Follow up: Dr. Alok Sinha 35 hours later
Where do i get my presciption here
Answered by Dr. Alok Sinha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Current law doesn't permit prescribing psychotropics online.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up query.
Current law doesn't permit prescribing psychotropic medicines online. Secondly you may need a physical prescription to buy it from medical store (for Adderall, Dexedrine & Sodium Oxybate). Adrafinil you may buy over the counter or on internet without any prescription. Usual dose to start with is 100 mg of powder of tablet of Adrafinil at morning daily. You may increase the dose gradually upto 300 mg daily. But you must get your liver function checked fortnightly while taking this drug. Remember I have suggested you a temporary way just to cope up with current situation. Your main aim should be finding a regular psychiatrist/sleep therapist for reinstating the therapy under his able guidance.

Take care. All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Alok Sinha

Psychiatrist