Suggest treatment for narcissistic personality disorder
psychotherapy is only alternative
Thanks for writing to us. I can understand your concern for your husband.
You have mentioned diagnosis of Narcissistic PD. I think you have consulted psychiatrist already as diagnosis of personality disorder is difficulty to establish without professional evaluation.
One limitation is that such persons cannot be convinced that there is problem in them and they do not become ready for treatment/psychotherapy.
Most of the patients are brought by relatives.
Transference Focused Psychotherapy (TFP) is indicated in treatment of such cases. It is modified psycho dynamically oriented approach, highly structured with rigid twice a week sessions.
Let me know,
- Have you consulted psychiatrist?
- Does he feel that he has some problem?
- Is he ready for psychotherapy?
- Is there any episode of mania or hypo mania which suggests possibility of bipolar disorder? If it is there, chances of improvement with medicines are there.[Symptoms are- Needing less sleep in order to feel rested, Talking very rapidly or excessively, Distractibility, Fast thoughts, Tendency to show poor judgment, such as impulsively deciding to quit a job, Inflated self-esteem or grandiosity -- unrealistic beliefs in one's ability, intelligence, and powers; may be delusional,Reckless behaviors (such as lavish spending sprees, impulsive sexual indiscretions, abuse of alcohol or drugs, or ill-advised business decisions)].
I will be happy to help further after your response.
My integrity is worth a lot to me and the people who took part in this and wanted to make money with him and did not ask me my opinion now what me to pay as well and also the business however I am the sole owner of the business I cannot afford bad publicity. My clients trust me and I have never done them bad or want to do that. I will rather done myself bad.
I have tried everything to persuade him to accept and to repay all he took money from and pay them with his salary monthly. However it was there choice to say no to him. This is my 2nd husband and my daughter and son-in-law are both also Chartered Accountants, and I must think of them. But we have a lot of good times together as we play tennis together and like the same food, movies, holidays, etc. But every day I realized as it is now the only way would be to split but he also works in the business, there are customers who would like to ask him advice and we visit our clients together and if we split means I should inform all the clients and I believe they would support me but I do not want to do that to him. He will no longer be able to work in the firm and will not easily get work again and yet he is good at marketing and operations and he is intelligent and helps me in the house and cook when I have to work. He always comes home 16:00 put his phone down to 16:00. I do love him and so much just want him to be the person I know he is without this disorder. Is there any hope for me.
you can try professional help
Sorry for delayed response. I appreciate your attitude towards him.
To diagnose personality disorder detail history since adolescent age is required. In that case I suggest consulting local psychiatrist once with your in law parents for possibility of diagnosis of Narcissistic PD. If diagnosis is confirmed, I already told that it is difficult to treat.
However few persons are convinced by professional(psychiatrist or psychologist) that he/she has some problem and it needs treatment for improving quality of life. Considering his history he needs psychotherapy.
Your caring attitude may help to change his personality. It needs help of professional and long time. But the crux is he should become ready to accept that some change is needed. You can try it.
In conclusion consult psychiatrist first without him and after that psychiatrist can guide you what do after establishing diagnosis.
Hope is there though little bit.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Narcissistic personality disorder and sociopath
- Severe narcissistic personality disorder
- Treatment and cure for Narcissistic personality disorder
- What is the remedy for narcissistic personality disorder
- Amorous narcissistic personality disorder
- Female narcissistic personality disorder
- Narcissistic personality disorder symptoms
- Narcissistic personality disorder in women
- Narcissistic personality disorder causes
- Diagnosis of Narcissistic personality disorder