Suggest treatment for myopia in a toddler

Ophthalmologist
Question
hello doc,
I had a eye checkup yesterday for my 3 year old niece. unfortunately the eye power came as -10.5 spherical, -1 cylindrical with 180 degrees in both the eyes. I am bit worried about her. By looking at her activities we had never felt that she would have that much number. her all activities are normal. Only thing is - she watches tv and XXXXXXX from quite near. doctor advised for the glasses.
I have few questions:
=> how it can be cured
=> any medicine or food habits can cure this
=> most important, any good child specialist which can give advice
=> does contact lenses advicable for such small kid
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She is having high myopia.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

I reviewed the history given by you. I can understand your concerns. It seems your 3 year old niece is having refractive error in the form of myopia.

Refractive errors are common in children but refractive errors of higher degree require treatment by correction with appropriate glasses. This has to be done at the earliest and you should see that she wears the glasses always during waking hours and day time. This is important to have normal development of the eye and to prevent development of lazy eye or ambylopia.

The treatment for this condition is by use of glasses.
There are no medicines to cure this condition. Intake of Vitamin A rich foods like green leafy vegetables is known to be of help for good health of the overall health of the eye.
She should wear the glasses regularly and all the time during waking hours as this will prevent rapid change in the refractive error and development of ambylopia.
The refractive error tends to change rapidly in children because of growth of the eyeball. Hence she requires eye examination and refraction testing at least once in 6 months to check for this and correction accordingly.

Contact lenses are usually not advised below 12-14 years because of difficultly in using them.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
with regards

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for myopia in a toddler 10 minutes later
thanks a lot for the information.
is it possible to meet u in personal or can u recommend any good child eye specialist in bangalore? also do we need to take any precautions to improve the situation further?

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to consult paediatric ophthalmologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

There are many good eye hospitals in XXXXXXX You can consult pediatric ophthalmologist Dr. XXXXXXX Samprathi at Samprathi Eye Hospital, Kumara park west, XXXXXXX

The precautions need to be taken are
Regular eye checkup once in six months
Regular use of glasses
Intake of food rich in Vitamin A
Watching TV from atleast 6 feet or more
Reading in good illumination

Thank you
with regards