Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

130 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for myasthenia gravis

Answered by
Dr. Deepak Sundriyal


Practicing since :2005

Answered : 1546 Questions

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Cancer
Question: I had a splenectomy for ITP 15 yrs ago. I now have a DX of a 1.5cm grade 3 invasive ductal breast cancer, with clear margins and clear sentinel node, estrogen & Her2 positive. My oncologist recommends chemo + Herpecin + radiation + Arimidex. My concern is having chemo when I have no spleen. Is the risk of critical infection worth it?
Other pertinent info: I have Myasthenia Gravis, currently in close to remission status for 3 yrs. Past hx of Thymectomy, Myasthenic crisis, Plasmapheresis, long term high dose prednisone.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You will require vaccination prior to chemo

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear .
I have gone through the details.

So definitely, chemo will lead to immuno suppression and you will be prone to infections. I will advise you to get vaccinated prior to chemo against pneumococcal, meningococcal and influenza infections.
Myasthenia gravis if well controlled will not interfere with chemotherapy. But as you are on steroids, you will require antifungal prophylaxis too.

Go ahead with the treatment.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 18 minutes later
Thanks so much. Your reply adds to my confidence in my doctor. I have not been on steroids in 6+ years, just a hx of it. Already had immunizations for pneumonia, flu, shingles. Will ask doc tomorrow about meningitis vaccine..
Appreciate your reply.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Feel free to ask further

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Plasmapheresis

doctor1 MD

My sister is in a hospital in Pueblo Co and has been diagnosed with hepatorenal syndrome. She had an emergency gallbladder surgery and has been in ICU since Dec. 3rd and today has been moved a regular hospital room. They were giving her medicine to help her kidney and liver but they were not helping. The doctor said it is terminal and gave her 3-6 months. She needs a partial liver and a kidney transplant. I am a willing donor but am have incompatible blood type. My family is in Big Timber MT (13 hours away) I am worried and want to go there to see what I can do to help and talk to her doctors about plasmapheresis or paired exchange due to our different blood types. Would it be good to go now-I fear waiting because I don't know how bad this is or if it could get worse quickly.

doctor1 MD

I have a friend who has XXXXXXX Barr syndrome and is on a ventilator. How long should he be on the ventilator? How long with a trek? And feeding tube? They have put him at a rehab but he can only move his head. Where is the top hospital for this...

doctor1 MD

Hi question regarding itp I was wondering if there was chance of ipt returning . I have had ipt twice and both times the removal of my spleen was required. There fore two spleens were removed . I have been feeling extremely tired . No signs of...

doctor1 MD

My hard rattles like twice a month sometimes for a few days at a time when I get up from sitting or am walking, bending. It s like in the very middle. Could this be sinus or what? Any thoughts. I google this and surprisingly there isn't really anything but blood pressure things. I have alway had perfect or sometimes low ( according to plasma donation center standards anyway) thanks rachel

doctor1 MD

Recently I was donating blood plasma when something apparently went wrong with the needle and i started to have a large amount of blood collect under the skin. They told me it would go away with time and cold press but it's been a week and the bruising just seems to be spreading. Am I in any medical danger? Or will it go away with time?