Suggest treatment for myasthenia gravis

Posted on Mon, 8 Aug 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Where is a UNV.or clinic closest to chas wv with neurogoligist with expertise in diagnosing and treating Myssthenia Gravis,and or if one has been misdiagnosed with MG. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
MG docs in WVa

Detailed Answer:
Good evening. Thank you for your question on this network. I'm sorry that you're having to deal with a diagnosis of MG. From your question I sense that you are concerned perhaps that you also may be misdiagnosed? The following are NEUROLOGISTS who are in the XXXXXXX WVa area. Just about any neurologist with general training is qualified and has likely treated and diagnosed many patients in their career with MG. Unfortunately, since I'm in XXXXXXX OH I cannot say that I know any of these doctors personally but it wouldn't take much for you to Google each name to pull up more information on them such as what types of subspecialties or interests they may have, what hospital affiliations they may have, and what patient satisfaction ratings have been for them:
XXXXXXX E. McBurney XXXXXXX Area Medical Center Neuro ICU
501 Morris St Wing 4 East XXXXXXX WV 25301
(304) 388-5432
XXXXXXX L. Mace XXXXXXX Area Medical Center Neuro ICU
(304) 388-5432

Iraj Derakhshan
Comprehensive Neurology
427 Carriage Dr
Beckley, WV 25801
(304) 343-4098
XXXXXXX B. XXXXXXX
Lerfald & XXXXXXX MDs
415 Morris St Ste 306 XXXXXXX WV 25301
(304) 343-1022

In response to your question....you would need to upload copies of all your labwork to see which tests you've had, which one was positive vs. all the others that are negative and then, I'd get a better idea of how you were diagnosed.

There is a test called an Acetylcholine Receptor ANTIBODY test (Achr AB) which is present in about 85% of all patients who have MG. And when it shows up as positive in blood then, it is considered VIRTUALLY 100% specific for the disease. In other words, YES, there is a blood test (a single blood test) which can show up 85% of the time in myasthenics (only 50% if the patient has OCULAR MYASTHENIA only). And when it does....we can be virtually 100% that a positive test result MEANS the patient has Myasthenia Gravis.

There are a few other tests that can be done to look for MG such as ANTI-MUSK and ANTI-STRIATED MUSCLE Antibody. Other tests could be done in blood just to rule out other possible infirmities such as thyroid hormones, ANA, and Rheumatoid Factor.

I can also tell you that MYASTHENIA GRAVIS is not known to CAUSE CRAMPS in the legs or other muscles BUT MESTINON certainly can cause cramping, muscle weakness, and even sharp muscle pains.

As far as the TBI from the MVA is concerned that would require a totally different type of physical examination and approach. I wouldn't put MG up as the major cause of cramping or other symptoms as high on the list of causes as JUST THE MESTINON itself. Nor would I suspect the TBI as being on the short list of causes for the leg cramps.

If I've satisfactorily addressed your question then, could you do me the kindest of favors by CLOSING THIS QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback and a 5 STAR rating to our transaction if you feel the response has helped you? Again, many thanks for posing your question.

Do not forget to recontact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 28 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.
Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist