Suggest treatment for muscular pain, vertigo and numbness

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Back Pain
Question: I am a 30 yr old mother of a 9 months baby..i have had muscular pain and pain in my neck with a small lump on my left shoulder..have had a feeling of numbness for a couple of months now..i have been detected with vitamin D level 14..i am not able to continue with my daily activities normally ..i am tired most of the times..it seems every part of my body hurts..have had a feeling of vertigo for sometime now..got the xray done for cervical spine but its not very serious ...how bad is my condition,, will the supplements be ok to treat it?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Generally a benign condition and is usually self limiting.

Detailed Answer:

It seems you are suffering from cervical spondylitis, feeling of vertigo in your case is termed as CERVICAL VERTIGO. This is generally a benign condition and is usually self limiting.

The general treatment guidelines for her condition is as follows -

Use a soft cervical Collar: Soft collar allow the muscles of the neck to rest and limit neck motion. This can help decrease pinching of nerve roots with movement. Soft collars should only be worn for short periods of time, because long-term wear can decrease the strength of neck muscles.

Medicines: Analgesic are needed in the acute phase (Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, Naproxen etc). Muscle relaxants are essential for relieving muscle spasm. Neurotropic vitamins like METHYLCOBALAMINE orPREGABALIN will help in alleviating the neuropathic pain.

Physiotherapy: Once the acute phase of pain has subsided, Isometric strengthening exercises of the paravertebral muscles are started, under the supervision of a qualified physiotherapist . Improving neck strength and flexibility with simple exercises may lessen discomfort and pain. Moist heat can be useful.

Antihistamine preparations - Symptomatic relief from the spinning sensation can be achieved by taking antihistamines like BETAHISTINE, after consulting a physician.

Taking Vit d supplement will be helpful.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement