Suggest treatment for muscular imbalance in shoulder

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a nuscular imbalance in my right shoulder. My PT says it is my pecs that are pulling my shoulder forward. This causes forward head posture, rounded shoulders & huge knits & spasms in my levator scapular, traps & rhomboids. I am considering Botox. In your opionion where should the dr inject? Pecs? Trap? Levator? All three?
Thanks for your help!
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I do not think Botox is a good option

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam,
I would not suggest you to use Botox injection for shoulder Dyskinesia. It is a disease which can be tackled by physiotherapy and muscle training and so you will need to contact good shoulder rehabilitation program . Botox is used for spastic muscle and it it only temporary paralyses the muscles. With in few months its effect is over and then You will have same issue.
So again I want to suggest you that you should use exercises for this and no Botox.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 27 minutes later
That is a problem because i have been to 4 different physical therapists and completed every exercose program they have given me and i still have the problem. Can yoh be more specific on who I should contact? I live in XXXXXXX Tennessee.
Thanks for your help!
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to go to sports medicine specialist

Detailed Answer:
I would suggest you to go to a sports medicine specialist doctor rather then a physio. He should guide you to a physiotherapist and also suggest you type of exercises. When you go direct to physio then chances of you getting right exercises is less. I do not know any one personally there.
I hope this answer will help you. Let me know if you want to ask any thing else.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari