• question-icon

Suggest treatment for muscle strain in the neck

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: my wife was putting sheets on our new mattress and it is very thick and she had to lift the mattress corner to do it and she pulled her shoulder and neck muscles. what is the treatment . it happened yesterday
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
rest, ice, anti inflammatory med, muscle relaxant

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The discomfort would be due to spasm of the muscles involved. Treatment would involve: (1)rest- which she is already doing

(2)protection of the area from further injury

(3)ice packs to the most affected areas, these should be used for the first 2 to 3 days, 2 to 3 times a day for 10 to 15 mins
After that time, if there is still pain, then warm compresses can be used

(4)anti inflammatory medication if she can use these eg naproxen, ibuprofen. These over the counter pain medication should help

If she cannot use these, then paracetamol can be used instead, though it may not be as effective

(5)a muscle relaxant may be needed to help relieve the spasm if there is no improvement eg baclofen, cyclobenzaprine, methocarbamol.
A prescription from her doctor would be needed

Muscle spasm typically can recover in 5 to 7 days though it may persist for longer in some persons

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James