question-icon

Suggest treatment for muscle strain below shoulders

Posted on Mon, 10 Nov 2014
Question: About a month ago, i played in a two day golf tournament, a day after i had a flu shot. Ever since, i've had sorness below my shoulder and left side under my armpit, (seems more like a strain) at the same time my neck, bone right at the top of my back gets a tingling feeling. i've used muscle relaxers, inflammation etc. At night i sleep like a baby, first thing in the morning it begins again. Stress? etc. Not sure, but its been exactly one month. I'm 64, very active, play a lot of golf and will retire in January. Actually I feel worse at work than i do elsewhere, once again stress of retiring and getting all that ready.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef (28 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Might need some kind of physiotherapy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

Even though the discomfort you have stated could just be due to a muscle strain while playing golf, if I were your doctor, considering the age factor, I would advise you for a routine blood test like CBC, Blood sugar and serum lipid profile, a routine ECG and also record your blood pressure.

If all the reports are in significant, then I would advise you for a plain X ray of your cervical spine, followed by an MRI of the same area if need be to rule out any chance of a nerve compression in the cervical region due to a non suspecting cervical spondylitis. I would then advise you for some anti inflammatory along with a muscle relaxant, and refer you to a physiotherapist for some kind of short wave diathermy, or an ultrasonic massage or similar such kind of intervention. I am hopeful that with this strategy in your management, you would be comfortable gradually, as the improvement in such cases could be slow.

I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of your problem. Please do not hesitate to ask in case of any further doubts.

Thanks for choosing health care magic to clear doubts on your health problems. I wish you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.

Dr. M Y Shareef

General Surgeon