Suggest treatment for muscle stiffness and swelling in the ankle

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What would cause my ankle to stiffen and swell with no trauma. It gets stiff and cold from my shin to my toes and lasts for a day or two. It re occurs every ten days or so (randomly). It has happened approximately ten times over the past four months.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
list of possible causes for your reference sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. There are a number of conditions/causes that can cause swelling in the ankle with stiffness that can come and go and I shall list them out for you sir:

+Hypertension: Fluctuations in blood pressure can result in oedema which can cause swelling and stiffness as well. A holters monitoring device can be used to check on the blood pressure fluctuations for 24 hours

+Bone and joint abnormalities: Conditions like arthritis (although less common in the ankle joint) can also cause such a presentation and require an X-ray of both ankles to compare and reach a diagnosis. Other systemic conditions can also contribute to this presentation and most certainly need to be ruled out here

+Cardiac abnormalities: One of the more common causes, an elaborate cardiac evaluation is required for this

+Kidney function: Also associated with hypertension, and so a blood workup and/or ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis may be required

+Liver health: A blood workup and/or ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis for a diagnosis or to rule this cause out

+Chronic venous insufficiency: Although more commonly presents with ulcers and/or change in appearance of the foot, still worth ruling out

+Infections

+Side effect of medications: If you are on any medications, discuss them with your doctor when you visit him/her

As you can see sir, the list is long and will require I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 18 hours later
Is there a possibility this could be related to a blood clot?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
In my opinion less likely, but still better to rule out it

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

The presentation of a clot would be slightly different (i.e. along with redness, swelling, pain in the legs you would have symptoms like fainting spells, exhaustion, breathlessness,rapid heart rate, tenderness over the region of the clot, raised body temperature, etc.).

But I would not rule it out completely. Although less likely than all the other causes listed above, I would say it is mildly possible and should also be ruled out.

Best wishes.