Suggest treatment for muscle pain

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Tue, 31 Oct 2017 in General Health
Question: My friend has terrible pain in her joints that moves from one joint to another. Never all over at once. It'll be in her elbow for awhile and then her shoulder than her ankle and so on and so on. Never all over at once. What comes to mind? This is terrible pain, debilitating pain.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Migratory Arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HCM

Pain that travels from one joint to another is called Migratory arthritis. Migratory arthritis is caused by inflammation as in case of rheumatoid arthritis, SLE, gout, Lyme arthritis etc.
It is important to confirm what is the specific cause, so as to tailor treatment accordingly.
Xray of the affected joints, blood investigations including ESR levels, RA factor levels, ANA levels, ACCP levels are required as a part of initial evaluation.
Management depend on the underlying cause.
Please be advised to follow up with your primary provider/ rheumatologist for confirmation of diagnosis.
Meaanwhile, she can take Advil 600 mg upto 4 times daily for pai.
Physical therapy and exercising is also an integral component for management of inflammatory arthritis. Physical therapy will only be initiated after adequate pain control and done under the guidance of a licensed physical therapist is unlikely to cause any joint injuries.

Hope I was able to help you
Please let me know if you need further clarifications
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T