Suggest treatment for muscle pain

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having pain in the front of my right thigh, quadriceps area. Muscle aches when lying down, very painful (7 to 8) when I first stand up. No restriction when bending or straightening. Just when I first stand it feels similar to a charley horse. I have been icing and resting. No hip or knee pain.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stretch exercises, hot compress and citrus fruits should help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It seems that somehow you have developed an electrolyte imbalance. I would insist you to increase total fluid intake (water) and to take plenty of ORS (oral rehydration solution). Take juicy fruits like citrus fruits. They contain plenty of potassium which should help in proper functioning of the muscles and in reduction of the cramps/pain.

Hot compress relieves pain whereas cold compress relieves inflammation. In your case hot compress is more applicable.

The problem may be related to spondylosis of the lower vertebrae as well and I would also insist you to undergo an X Ray of Lumbosacral Spine (AP and Lateral).

Let me know if I could help further.