Suggest treatment for muscle pain in thighs

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: muscle soreness right hip and spread down the medial of the right thigh. Also large thigh muscles have a
dull ache. The right thigh is weaker than my left thigh..I am an active cyclist and in the gym and pilates.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
need more information

Detailed Answer:
hello and welcome,

I have read your history carefully.
I need a little more information, kindly answer the following before we move forward

Are you using statin medication like ATORVASTATIN

Do you have a history of kidney stones

Are you able to walk and move around with this muscle soreness by yourself

Do you have a history of osteoporosis

keep in touch
thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
I am not on statin medication and I do not have a history of kidney stones.

I can walk by myself and no history of osteoporosis..
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
thigh spasm or quadriceps strain

Detailed Answer:
hello again,

Its most likely a thigh muscle spasm or a quadriceps strain.

1) I would advise a 5 day course of NSAIDs and muscle relaxants. physiotherapy can be done as it too, has proven benefit in such conditions.

2) I would also advise vitamin D and vitamin B 12 supplements for a month at least.
Vitamin D deficiency in recent studies was shown to be associated with chronic low back pain, fatigue and other pain related syndromes.

BOTH AFTER CONSULTATION WITH YOUR DOCTOR.

Most likely your symptoms will subside after the treatment. However, if they persist or worsen then please fix a visit to an orthopedic surgeon to clinically examine you and advise radiological investigations to see for any spine or hip pathology.

let me know if you have any query
if not, please close the discussion and rate the answer
thanks.

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil