• question-icon

Suggest treatment for muscle pain in legs and thighs

Posted on Thu, 23 Jul 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello, I have what appears to me to leg/thigh pain in the muscles. To me it feels like a rubber band stretch and not returning to its normal position. I used to have the same feeling in the back of my left leg wherein the leg will not straighten until I felt something pop and the leg is not straight. Again it felt like a rubber band being stretched and not returning to its normal position. I am female, 61 and walk everyday, not on any meds except evista.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle spasm, Locking of knee

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I have read your query and understood your problem.

According to the history you have provided, it appears that your suffer from frequent muscle spasm in the thigh or calf region.

This could be due to many causes like dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, calcium deficiency, spine disorders, meniscus tear or other pathology that can cause muscle spasm about the knee joint.

You had mentioned tat your knee does not get straight. This could be due to meniscus cartilage tear in your knee that causes it to flip around and cause locking in your knee. This is common in old trauma to the knee or degenerative arthritis of the knee.

I would advise you to avoid squatting, cross leg sitting or kneeling. If you have chronic knee pain you can wear a knee cap. Eat healthy. Keep well hydrated to avoid dehydration and electrolyte imbalance that can causes cramps. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables.

Kindly consult your Orthopaedic surgeon to get a thorough examination and necessary investigations like Xray or MRI to rule out arthritis, meniscus tear and also electrolyte imbalance with laboratory tests.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for follow up queries.

Thanking you.

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon