Suggest treatment for multiple sclerosis

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: multiple sclelosis
can i have treatment..to help me improve ? walk again? talk and clear vision back? I can't for 4 years now, am bedfast. will united health ins pay ?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment does not reverse the process, only slow further progression.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I am sorry about your situation.

Multiple sclerosis is a chronic disease which progresses with time and causes permanent disability as it seems to be in your case. There are many medications for multiple sclerosis these days, but they only try to slow down progression of the disease over the years, none of them can reverse the damage that has already happened. So I am afraid that if you are severely disabled by multiple sclerosis there isn't any treatment to take things back, only physical therapy.

As for the insurance paying for such medications, regulations may vary between different countries. There are some criteria though as MS medications have a very high cost and are reimbursed only when considered to really be useful in preventing disability. So given the degree of progression you describe I am afraid it might well be possible that these medications are not covered as there is limited benefit.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.