Suggest treatment for multiple personality disorder

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I had a meeting with my counsellor a few weeks ago and she was quite concerned that I was expressing my aggression/anger/frustration feelings/emotions in destructive/impulsive behaviours. She asked if I was taking all the medication when I should be. I said I was. She then stressed that she thought it was really important for me to get to the doctors and get my mental health medication reviewed quite urgently. I have had the surgery appoint in which I asked for a review letter to be done and sent over to the mental health team. However, I am aware that I have been under the team for various mental health reasons over the cause of the past 10 years. Subsequently about 3/4 times now I have been to them for an assessment but they won't take me any further than that within the team, because they say there is nothing else they can do that they haven't already done. Since going to the surgery for the referral I have heard nothing from the team. I am starting to wonder if I have been forgotten or if them not contacting me is their way of telling me they are not prepared to see me even for an assessment this time. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
ask for the reason of not assessing you.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.

I can understand your concerns.

I have read your query thoroughly and gone through your discussions with other doctors here as well.

You have been diagnosed with multiple personality disorder.
I guess you must be having sessions with your counselor regarding that.

Well, mood swings are the part of personality disorders. They may be in the form of aggression, sadness, irritability, happiness etc.

Unfortunately, there is no definitive drug treatment for personality disorders.
Hard to change what has become a part of one's personality.. Isn't it?
And thus, doctor tend to escape from or avoid assessing such patients after a particular period of time.

However, on ethical grounds, the mental health team should consider your request of assessment. The drug treatment be reviewed and changed if needed.
They must cite the reason of not assessing you and you can ask for this.
Counselling sessions should be absolute part of your treatment.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask further.
Thanks.