Suggest treatment for multiple-myeloma

Posted on Tue, 30 Dec 2014 in Cancer
Question: Dear sir, dad is suffering from multiple-myeloma , is it curable with imitinef mercilet?
Answered by Dr. Monish De 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not curable but can slow down the growth of multiple myeloma

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Imitinef Mercilet is an alternative name of the drug Imatinib mesylate which is used in the treatment of multiple myeloma.

It works by blocking signals within cancer cells, which prevents a series of chemical reactions that allow the cell to grow and divide.

The growth of cells in our body are controlled by growth factors, which attach themselves to the surface of cells, triggering a series of chemical reactions that cause the cell to grow and divide.

Cancer cells do not function properly.

These cells are able to grow and divide even when growth factors are not present.

Imatinib is able to attach to the faulty cell and prevent the "grow and divide" signal, thus stopping the reproduction of cancer cells.

The drug along with radiation can can help to slow or even stop the progress of multiple myeloma but no single drug treatment that can be said to actually cure multiple myeloma.

DR DE
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 7 minutes later
What is your opinion about current therapy with thalidomide,dexomethasone&bortuzamab
Answered by Dr. Monish De 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
median overall survival of 56 months

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Bortezomib plus thalidomide plus dexamethasone has shown 3 year progression free survival of 68% and median overall survival of 56 months and is a good treatment option for multiple myeloma.

Dr DE.
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 24 minutes later
Doctor, on the basis of your experience what is the Best possible combination of drug in multiple-myeloma?
Answered by Dr. Monish De 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
bortezomib , lenalidomide , cyclophosphamide and dexamethasone

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The combination of bortezomib , lenalidomide , cyclophosphamide and dexamethasone is the best possible combination drug in multiple myeloma.

It increases overall survival of patient to 72 months.

If you have no more clarifications then please rate the answer and close the thread.

DR DE

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist