Suggest treatment for multiple myeloma

Dr. Prashant Sharma

Oncologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hello Doctor,
My father is suffering from MM for past 7 years. He is going under treatment at All XXXXXXX Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX But worst thing is that doctors at XXXXXXX are saying that now my father is not tolerating any medicine. They have stopped all the medicines & they are saying that now, his survival is of just few months. They are saying now they have already used all the possible medicines. Till now he is given (MPT --> Thalex + Dexa--> Leno + Dexa --> Bortelzobi + Thalex (He could not tolerate this combination). They have prescribed VAD, but at the same time they are saying that hope with that medicine is also around 10%.

Could you please suggest me on it?

Thanks & Regards,
XXX
Answered by Dr. Prashant Sharma 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
his general condition will decide the treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I am sorry for the status of your father.

I have gone through your description and the report. The treatment given so far is satisfactory.
As bone marrow is positive, it makes the disease in stage 4.

Now at present you have 3 options....
1. start single drug regimen.
2. bone marrow transplantation
3. palliative treatment only.

The treatment should be decided according to his general condition and tolerance power. Such things should be decided by your consultant. If he can't tolerate any treatment, its better to offer him only the drugs that will decrease his symptoms, not the disease and will improve the quality of life.

Feel free to ask further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari