• question-icon

Suggest treatment for multiple lipomas in body

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: Hi Doctor,

I have multiple lipomas in my body. is there any advanced treatment to remove the lipomas from body without scars. I heard removing lipomas using liposuction causes nerve damage.

Please advice
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Many options are available but-they are not FDA approved !!

Detailed Answer:
Brief Ans-Mesotherapy/ or Injection Lipolysis is the optional treatment !!

Hi Dear !! Thanks for the query to HCM.
Read and reviewed facts of your query and your health concerns.
Multiple lipomatosis- is a familial -non cancerous condition and if no cosmetic guilt is there by its location, they should be just neglected in all such cases.

Few cosmetic clinics use various -procedures-which are not promoted and accepted medically.Also these cosmetic procedures- are not approved by the FDA sanctions.

Limitations of the Liposuctions-
a-Nerve damage risk-The risk of damage to nerves is there only if proper precaution is not taken in assessing the nerve involvments in Lipoma, which needs to be taken in Dercum's Disease-where the painful lipomas are there.
Damage to nerves and vessels around any of the lipomas-is to be avoided by proper work up of a case.
Nerve Conduction studies before procedures could avoid such nerve damages,as Liposuction of Lipoma is a very specific procedure, and does not involve general liposuction where the procedure could be at risk,as such work up is not done in cosmetic clinics.
But when its done in medical / surgical clinics, precise care would be taken to avoid it.
b-Infections and pus formation- risks are there- but proper aseptic precautions and antibiotic cover during these therapies would reduce these risks.

Still with these limitations- following are the options-for non-surgical removal for Multiple Lipomatosis-
1) Injection Lipolysis- / or Mesotherapy / or -Lipodissolve therapy-where in mixture of drugs- with Phosphatydil Choline is used for small lumps at prime disfiguring locations.
2) Vaccum Laser Liposuction-does has its -limitations and is used in few cosmetic clinics,though not promoted medically.
3) Steroid Injections- for lipolysis.
These are the options available, which I would not promote and decision would be yours totally.

Hope this reply would help you to take proper decision to try on the non-surgical treatments- which are not yet approved medically and by FDA sanctions world over.

Welcome for any further query in this regards.
Feel free ask more query till you are satisfied.

Good Day !!
Dr.Savaskar M.N. XXXXXXX Surgical Specilalist
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mukund Savaskar 2 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Is there any minimal scar surgery without side effects.
Also is it possible to scan the lipoma location which is not identify by me.

Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
There are many !! Tell How many you want to remove ?

Detailed Answer:
Brief Ans-There are many !! Tell How many you want to remove ?

Hi Dear !! Thanks for the update query from YOU.
Q-1-Is there any minimal scar surgery without side effects.

Ans-1-There are many procedures and techniques available for minimal scar surgery for Multiple Lipomas-

a-Power Assisted Liposuction which reduces 60% of Lipoma by Liposuction which then is squeezed / extracted through very small nicks created by special tool called PUNCH-around lipoma.As many as >300 could be removed in one sitting.

b-Laser Lipolysis-/ or/ Smart Lipo-for lipomas- more than 2-inches-with minimal scarring is well accepted Surgical procedure and done by few- board certified plastic surgeons abroad / or in XXXXXXX also at special centers.

These minimal scar-Lipoma surgery/procedures- could be done as OPD / day care procedure and Under low risk -Local Aneasthesia too.

Q-2-Also is it possible to scan the lipoma location which is not identify by me.

Ans-Yes its possible to scan the Lipomas unknown to YOU by scanning techniques.
Those lipomas which are not subcutaneous /or in the unknown body locations could be scanned by -
i-FDG 18F- PET Scan with CT/ MRI study would detect the unknown Lipoma Locations in cases of FML/ or MSL / or other variations of Multiple Lipomas.

ii-NMRI-nuclear MRI technique ,which uses radionuclides at special centers only.

Hope the reply would help you to plan further treatment for the cosmetic goal,which you aim at.

Welcome for any further query in this regard.

Good Day !!

Dr.Savaskar M.N. XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon