• question-icon

Suggest treatment for multiple bilateral renal cysts

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Had a catscan of kidneys and the tests reslts indicate multiple bilateral cysts. My primary doctor is referring mr to a kidney specialist. What can this mean.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may not necessarily associated with problems

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Cysts of the kidneys can be simple cysts or more complicated - PKD (polycystic kidney disease) or cancerous change (not common)

Actually 1/3 of persons over 50 get renal cysts and it is a benign (not dangerous )change in most of them. This may be the case for you but further investigations and assessment would be needed.
If this is the case for you, your doctor would simply monitor their growth and kidney function

You would need blood tests if they have not already be done. These would assess kidney function. Genetic testing is done in some cases as well but it can be costly.In some cases, a biopsy of one or more of the cyst is done as well

Controlling any risk factors that affect the kidney would be important- diabetes, high blood pressure, certain medications

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 13 minutes later
What started this process is low iron in blood and later i was urinating blood. The catscan was a test because of that. Does this change the prognosis
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
cysts are one of the causes of blood in the urine

Detailed Answer:
HI

Sorry about the delayed reply

Cystic disease of the kidneys is one of the causes of hematuria (blood in the urine), it does not necessarily mean that there is a poor prognosis.

Physical examination and further investigations of the cysts would give more information.
The CT scan would have been able to identify if there was any mass or additional changes to the kidneys

You may have also had BUN and creatinine looking at your kidney function. If these blood tests were in range or not significantly out of range, this would be good.

Please feel free to ask anything else
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
One more question. My blood pressure spiked to 155/100 with a heart rate near 150. They put me on bystolic a blood pressure medication. This occured at the same time of blood in urine. Blood pressure had been good up to that point. I had e coli infection followed by Staph infection and thought my system was fighting an internal virus that was causing all the problems but noe more concerned about kidney problem. Sorry but i should have also mentioned this but did not think it important. Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
blood loss and illness can cause increase in heart rate

Detailed Answer:
Hi

the heart rate would have been increased because of the infection and blood loss.

In most cases where there is blood loss, there is a decrease, not an increase in blood pressure but if the body is under a lot of physical stress (illness), it can cause the increase to occur. Impaired kidney function can also cause blood pressure increase because there may be inadequate loss of fluid and electrolytes.

The infections would not have caused the cysts but if the kidneys were involved in the infection, this could also contribute to the blood seen.
Kidney infections can cause blood in the urine

If anything else unclear , can let me know
Dr. Michelle Gibson James