Suggest treatment for mouth ulcers

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Mon, 15 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i hav got a mouth ulcer on the inner side of the cheek on the right side ......it is thr from past 4-5days ...and it hurts a lot
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems aphthous ulcer

Detailed Answer:
Hi

It seems that you have aphthous ulcer. It may also be due to repeated injury from teeth.

My suggestions are as follows:

-See a dentist
-Use a mouthwash once daily to avoid any local infection
-If the pain is bad, you can apply anaesthetic gels like orajel for canker sores or anbesol, etc locally over the ulcer.
-Avoid eating hot, spicy food. Avoid acidic foods like tomatoes, pineapples too

These ulcers usually heal with 1 - 2 weeks. If they do not please see a dentist and ENT specialist.

Hope it helps.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj