Suggest treatment for mouth ulcers and sore throat

Posted on Tue, 6 Oct 2015 in Dental Health
Question: Hi im a 27 year old male currently traveling on holiday in the usa. I have developed a ulcer in the mouth on top of my right gum that runs like a line. It has been there for a week now and im stressed out over it not sure what has caused it. To add to that i also have a pain in the cheek it feels as though ive bitten my right cheek, and today i just developed a sore throut, i have been in and out of the pool and the room aircon is abit cold, i also went to a pub last night where there was alot of smoke. But all these symptoms ive searched leads to a mouth cancer which has me stressed. I do suffer from anxiety also. I recently finished a course of antibiotics for a prolonged cough.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Here are few things to be done .

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thanks for consulting Healthcare magic .
This is Dr. Priyanka tiwari answering your query .

I have read your query and understand your concern . As far as mouth ulcer is concerned see XXXX ulcers are generaly due to benign causes -stress induced , Nutritional deficiency , Drug induced , Hormonal influences , improper sleep . Can you upload image of ulcer that will be more helpful for me to arrive at conclusion and give you proper diagnosis . You can also mail images to YYYY@YYYY with subject line 'Attention to Dr. Priyanka tiwari'.
Based on details provided I shall suggest you few measures that might help you and heal ulcer .
- Dont take stress , take proper sleep .
-Avoid hot and spicy food .
- You can apply ointment on ulcer containing Lignocaine and choline salicylate like Mugel or Mucopain 3 to 4 times a day .
- You can take medicine like Vitamin B complex with Metronidazole twice daily for one week by consulting with local doctor .
At this point of time there does not seem like problem to be worried . Awating for pictures to comment further .

Hope I have answered your query .
If you have further query i will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 15 minutes later
ok i dont smoke. but my grandmother had oral cancer which is why i am concerned. also that my cheek right next to the ulcers is painfull also and the sore throught. i will send a picture now. are cancerous ulcers single or multiple lesions
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Apthous ulcer, Nothing to be worried .

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Welcome again .

I have read your query and gone through images you have attached . As far as I have observed you have Mutiple Minor Apthous ulcers. There is nothing to worried so much as Apthous ulcers are non cancerous . As you are asking about cancerous ulcers they are usually single , large with indurated borders and usually appear on or under tongue . So i will suggest you to apply Ointment containing Lignocaine and choline salicylate 3 to 4 times a day . Take vitamin B , C supplements with Metronidazole . You can also take Analgesic (painkiller) medicine like Ibugesic plus or Tylenol by consulting with local doctor.

Hope I have answered your query .
If you have further query I will be happy to help.
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 4 hours later
ok how long do these ulcers take to heal and what do you think might be the cause of them. it has already been one week and not much improvement but i only started applying the cream yesterday.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
stress, improper sleep , vitamin deficiency .

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Welcome .

I have read your query . I think cause of Ulcers might be due to Stress , improper sleep , Drug induced (Antibiotics you have taken ) or vitamin B deficiency. If ulcer last longer more than three weeks then I will suggest you to consult Oral surgeon for clinical examination to rule out infective conditions . As you have started applying Ointment yesterday only dont be worried so much apply ointment 3 to 4 times a day and take vitamin B and C supplements with Metronidazole . Follow these measures you will get relief .

Hope I have answered your query .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Priyanka Tiwari

Dentist