Suggest treatment for mouth ulcer

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi there - I have what looks sort of like a canker sore on my lip, as you can see from the picture...although it's clearly on the outer lip and not inside the mouth. I have never had a cold sore, and there are no blisters and this really doesn't resemble one at all. its more of a white painful spot. it came on suddenly (over night) with pain and has been present for two days, getting slightly more severe today. it is oddly shaped and does have some red around it. not sure what this could be...I've been a very light smoker (1-2 cigarettes a week) for about 6 months. please let me know how best to treat this, as it's fairly painful.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest you to apply an OTC topical antibacterial

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us at healthcaremagic

I have gone through your query and I have also seen the photograph.

You may use an OTC topical antibacterial e.g 2% mupirocin ointment, twice daily.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 17 minutes later
ok...but what do you believe it is?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Canker sore

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Looking at the Image, it is most likely a canker sore/aphthous ulcer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 38 hours later
I thought canker sores were only on the inside of the mouth? I've been applying otc ointment...the wound is now covered with a yellowish film, is there any way to get it to heal faster? it's very embarrassing
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest an Oral antibiotic in addition

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Canker sores do occur on the lips commonly on the inner part or on the part of the lips which overlap each other in relaxed condition.
If you see closely this is not totally on the outer part of lip. In the photo you seem to protrude your lower lip a little.
Yellowish film indicates secondary bacterial infection.
Anyway, you should continue with the OTC ointment, twice daily.
In addition I suggest a course of an oral antibiotic for a week. My choice would be either flucloxacillin or cephalexin for a week.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 24 hours later
the yellow film seems to be gone now, but the sound now seems open and painful. I also seem to have some white film on the inside of the lip, perhaps due to drooling at night as a result of this. do I just keep applying antibiotic or should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue with the topical antibacterial

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Just continue with the topical antibacterial. It should heal in 3-5 days.