Suggest treatment for morning sickness and vomiting during pregnancy

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
My daughter found out Tuesday she is pregnant with a home test. She was having some morning sickness. Since yesterday she has been throwing up. She slept for a while last night but she woke up at 2am and started throwing up. She has been throwing up about every 20 minutes and this does not seem like morning sickness.
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve her problem.

Morning sickness or Vomiting is a quite COMMON problem during early weeks of pregnancy and it occurs due to high level of beta-hCG hormone and stress.

However, I suggest her to undergo one Trans Vaginal Ultrasound scan (TVS) and blood test for beta-hCG to confirm the nature of pregnancy - Healthy and Intrauterine. You must contact with her gynecologist regarding this.

In this state, following measures will be useful to reduce nausea/ vomiting:

1) Eat small, frequent meals and snacks throughout the day so her stomach is never empty. Protein foods are mostly preferable instead of large carbohydrate.

2) Avoid lying down soon after eating (especially on your left side), as this can slow her digestion.

3) Keep simple snacks, such as crackers, by her bed. When she first wakes up, nibble a few crackers and then rest for 20 to 30 minutes before getting up.

Snacking on crackers may also help her feel better if she wakes up nauseated in the middle of the night.

4) Try to avoid foods and smells that trigger nausea. If that seems like almost everything, it's okay to eat the few things that do appeal to her for this part of her pregnancy, even if they don't add up to a perfectly balanced diet.

5) Try to eat food cold or at room temperature, because food tends to have a stronger aroma when it's hot.

6) Avoid fatty foods which take longer time to digest. Also steer clear of spicy, acidic, and fried foods, which can irritate her digestive system. It might help to stick to bland foods.

7) Brushing teeth properly and rinse out mouth after each eating. Try drinking fluids mostly between meals. She can take fruit juice or carbonated drink.

8) Drink plenty of water or fruit juice through out the day. If she has been vomiting a lot, try a sports drink that contains glucose, salt, and potassium to replace lost electrolytes.

9) Watch for non-food triggers, too. A warm or stuffy room, the smell of heavy perfume, a car ride, or even certain visual stimuli, like flickering lights, might trigger her nausea. So might changing positions too quickly. Avoidance of triggers can become an important part of her treatment.

10) She must take or go for fresh air. In addition, she must take Doxylamine and Pyridoxine combined medicine (like DOXINATE - 2 tabs at bed time) along with other prenatal vitamins/ Folic acid supplement.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish her good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for morning sickness and vomiting during pregnancy 6 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. My concern is the amount of vomitting she is doing. She is in the bathroom every 20 minutes and throws up about 10 times. She can not keep anything down and I worry about dehydration.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
FOLLOW THE ADVICE.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

1) First, she must follow previous advices and consult with doctor for complete prescription to reduce nausea and vomiting.

2) At this stage, she would take salt-sugar mixed water (home made) to correct dehydration, anti-emetic (Ondansetron) - if available, need adequate bed rest, take dry foods only (which she likes) and go to fresh air for few minutes.

3) If above measures FAIL to reduce nausea and vomiting, then I suggest to contact with nearby hospital and admit her for proper management.

Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion.

All the best and good luck.

Dr Soumen