Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

122 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for mood swings

Answered by
Dr. Manisha Gopal


Practicing since :2005

Answered : 947 Questions

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Depression
Question: Hi, I have a friend, who has severe mood swings. in one second he is very happy and excited talks a lot. in a moment he goes very depressed. even starts crying. sometimes doesn't even talk to anyone for days. are these symptoms of depression ? and how should we handle this?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
your friend needs medicines at earliest

Detailed Answer:
I have read your question carefully and from the symptoms mentioned, I can say that your friend has mood disorder.

Mood disorders are characterised by fluctuations in mood with or without any precipitating factor. Sometimes the mood fluctuation may last for days to months or may become fine in few hours; these ups and downs can be unperdictable and patient does not have much control over its intensity.

In such cases, the medicines should be started at the earliest.
Depression and mania are two spectrum of mood disorder but the symptom you mentioned donot have enough detail to label it just as depression. It looks like bipolar type (with symptoms of both high and low mood).

You can try to take the patient to a psychiatrist. If not possible, please discuss this with the family of the patient and make them doso. Without proper drugs this will become worse and he may become voilent or even try to harm his own self.

Try not to leave the patient alone and donot enter into arguments with him/her, as his thinking is disturbed at present.
Arguments and trying to make him/her understand something will mostly lead to irritation and drain you.

He/she might be required to get some basic blood tests- liver, kidney, thyroid, lipid and sugar to get the baseline assessment before giving meds.

Such patients can resist treatment in the begining but it is the duty of caregivers to get them to doctor and supervise meds.
With treatment your friend will surely improve.

Hope the reply is useful for you; please ask more questions for clarification.
Wish you good health.

Dr. Manisha Gopal
MD Neuropsychaitry
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Thyroid

doctor1 MD

hello im 27 yr old girl. i have fatigue always i cant raise a moderate weighing thing for a long time then my hands start shaking ive been experiencing stiffness and vibrations in my left leg when stand for some time and sort of muscle contractions also happens.and i also have trichorrhexisnodosa my hair breaks too much i have tested for thyroid it is normal my new doctor advised me another blood test for calcium cbc so and so and TSH again.....he said it can be calcium deficiency now i have another problem when at cold climate (not too cold here its India) dry throat and shortness of breath when cold air gets in. its like my throat muscles are stretching when i start talking so i cant talk too much it happens only in the cold seasons but it also happens when i talk laying down at night doctor said im havng problems with high humidity but i have no problems when i sit in ac room at other seasons.........

doctor1 MD

Hi i am 31 years old and from severe hairfall from more then 3 years, i have thyroid for that i am taking 62.5mcg thynorom tablet, so it is under control. I have consulted dr, she prescribed me minoxidil 2%, because of that my hair become so hard and dry so she changed it to grocapix gel and tricotan forte tablet, i am following this treatment from more than 2 months but still no effect, even no now my forehead is becoming broad and on top of the head baldness has started plz suggest me something very good, thnx priti

doctor1 MD

my now 18 year old daughter has experiencing hair thinning you can see to her scalp. and hair looks unhealthy, weight loss, pale, anxiety, moody, depression or low self asteem. we started with vitamins and supplements for the last 4 months but no change. im thinking thyroid? plz. help

doctor1 MD

Hi..have suffered many yers with a ultrarian rapid cycling condition ..I am into a holistic approach to medicine..many years ago I took a coritsol siliva test when I was at my worse ebb ..down.. irritable and feeling dysphoric..I wanted to take this test not when was feeling myself but in this down results the range was 3.5 -9.0 and my results were 1.7..I want to use bioidentical hydrocortisol prepared by a compounding pharmacist ..most doctors do not understand thuis method of treatment but it makes sense ..before I can address the thyroid I need to fix the arfenals first.. thankls for your help..

doctor1 MD

my child is 21 months old and suffeing from constipation from long term. pedistrician told to use some laxatives from 10days as situation got worse ,but still no luck.we did use the back medicine for m otion after 4days while using laxatives. she...

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work after 4 attempts and they have prescribed him various medications to control the rate of the heart. We...

doctor1 MD

I'm a 69 year old female and I'm still getting hot flashes. Doctors say it's something like my internal thermostat is not working. Doesn't sound very specific, does it? A few days ago a hot flash came on and this time the cold sweat was...