Suggest treatment for molluscum contagiosum symptoms on penis after intercourse

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi there -

I've recently had unprotected sex and notice a little patch of bumps on the underside of my penis.
After some web research, it appears to be, 'Molluscum Contagiosum'. Is this the case? I'm worried about HPV, herpes, or something more serious. But I don't want to get too anxious incase this is just typical skin abnormalities.

I'm currently traveling in a foreign country, so I don't have access to my home doctor.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Genital wart (single lesion near base) and Genital herpes

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have also reviewed the Image.

In the image I can see 2 different types of lesion. A skin colored to pink, raised growth near to base of penis seems very much like a wart to me. It is an HPV infection.
Whereas grouped, discrete lesions further down the undersurface of shaft of penis does resemble genital herpes. They seem to be fluid filled to me.
Molluscum contagiosum are umblicated i.e they have a central pit/ depression.

I would like to know the duration since you noticed these lesions?

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Hi, and thank you.

That is frightening news.

I noticed the cluster of dots about 4 days ago, and the larger wart just a day or two ago. I never paid much attention to it.

What do you think I should do?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I request you to upoad a better image

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Wart need to be removed with either a cautery or CO 2 Laser.
Regarding the grouped, discrete lesions further down the shaft I am still not absolutely sure. In the Image (when i zoom out) it does some as if some of them have a central dot/ pit but it is not very clear. I would request you to upload a better quality image.
Molluscum lesions are pearly white dome shaped lesions and are firm in consistency when felt between fingers whereas genital herpes lesions are initially fluid filled vesicles, which rupture soon after to form painful erosions. Since you say that these groued lesions are at least 4 days old therefore I would like to keep a possibility of molluscum as well because vesicles of herpes rupture soon after to form behind painful erosions! A better image would be more conclusive.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 43 minutes later
Hmm, here is another image:
https://www.YYYY.com/s/YYYY.jpg?dl=0

Left side with flash, right side without. Closeups on bottom.

It does not seem as if the cluster of growths are growing and they are senseless.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Genital warts

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Thank you.

The imagse are very clear. These are all Genital warts i.e an HPV infection. I suggest you to get them removed either with cautery Or CO 2 laser.