• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for mole on conjunctiva

Posted on Fri, 29 Jan 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi, i am an XXXXXXX male aged 34. I am having a mole/nevus on the conjuctiva in right eye since my childhood may be probably since my birth. It didnt change in shape or color and size in last 12 years since i noticed it minutely. It is round in shape to the naked eye.There is no pain, bleeding or any symptoms
Also there is a yellow patch on one side of it which developed last 4 to 5 yrs. Is it Pinguecula ? I rarely go out in the sun.
I went to a opthalmologist and he suggested me to surgically remove it and do a biopsy.
I am attaching the pics of my right eye as of today, 5 years back and 12 yrs back and request your kind opinion.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Features are suggestive of Pinguecula & mole

Detailed Answer:
Hi & Welcome.
Thanks for posting your query on HCM.

After having gone through your history and the uploaded pictures, I am of the opinion that you have an eye condition called as Pinguecula and nevus (the mole).
1. A pinguecula is a yellowish, harmless, noncancerous growth that develops on your the conjunctiva & it does not cover cornea. Whereas Pterygium is a similar growth which can encroach cornea and may interfere with the vision.

Certain environmental factors like warm climate, dust and Ultraviolet rays are the main causes of Pinguecula.

It also occurs in people who live in hot, dry, XXXXXXX regions and spend a lot of time outdoors. The risk is also increased by not wearing sunglasses or a sun hat.

Usually it does not require any treatment.
However, if you get some discomfort or recurrent inflammation then it may be removed surgically under anesthesia.
2. A mole (nevus) in the eye is a benign pigmented growth on the conjunctiva similar to a mole on your skin.
Since it has changed its size, shape, color or bleeding there is nothing to worry about it. Most nevi do not require treatment however, if it is causing a cosmetic problem it may be surgically removed.

Hope the suggestions given above could be useful however if you any follow up query please feel free to send your query.
Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by
Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1988

Answered : 4556 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Anesthesia

doctor1 MD

I have a lot of nasal congestion (many causes, too many cures to deal with--that probably won t help anyway). I m looking at knee replacement...

doctor1 MD

i have copper t for 3 yrs. i have heavy bleeding during periods.
when i consulted DR. they checked and said that i thread is not found .
so i need...

doctor1 MD

I am taking Zerodol cr as doctor has adviced for the treatment of osgoods schlatter disease. I got to know that it is pain reliefing and anti...

doctor1 MD

I am trying to find a pain management doctor in the frederick md or greencastle pa are that will agree to the medications that I am on and won t...

doctor1 MD

i was in renal and liver failure due large vol blood loss surgery 8 days before rec 2 abc transfusion all organs compromised and prescribed...

doctor1 MD

What does a mastoidectomy involve? What type of care is required before and after such a procedure?

doctor1 MD

hi im having a kidney stone removed and a new stent put in but i found out i have an enlarged heart i was told that you cant use anasthsia on an...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

200 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali
  • Q - Suggest treatment for chronic hepatitis c infection

  • Q - Are marks on the inner thighs indicative of herpes?

  • Q - Can Betacap-Tr, Nurokind-LC, Mobizox-5000, Ultracet and Rivotril be...

  • Q - What causes pain on left side of lower back?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for metastatic colon cancer which is not responding to...

  • Q - What causes abdominal pain while sitting?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for palmar hyperhidrosis

  • Q - What causes lose motion and dizziness while walking in elderly?

  • Q - What causes bleeding from penis?

  • Q - Can Ascoril expectorant cough syrup cause false positive in a drug test?