• question-icon

Suggest treatment for mole on conjunctiva

Posted on Fri, 29 Jan 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi, i am an XXXXXXX male aged 34. I am having a mole/nevus on the conjuctiva in right eye since my childhood may be probably since my birth. It didnt change in shape or color and size in last 12 years since i noticed it minutely. It is round in shape to the naked eye.There is no pain, bleeding or any symptoms
Also there is a yellow patch on one side of it which developed last 4 to 5 yrs. Is it Pinguecula ? I rarely go out in the sun.
I went to a opthalmologist and he suggested me to surgically remove it and do a biopsy.
I am attaching the pics of my right eye as of today, 5 years back and 12 yrs back and request your kind opinion.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Features are suggestive of Pinguecula & mole

Detailed Answer:
Hi & Welcome.
Thanks for posting your query on HCM.

After having gone through your history and the uploaded pictures, I am of the opinion that you have an eye condition called as Pinguecula and nevus (the mole).
1. A pinguecula is a yellowish, harmless, noncancerous growth that develops on your the conjunctiva & it does not cover cornea. Whereas Pterygium is a similar growth which can encroach cornea and may interfere with the vision.

Certain environmental factors like warm climate, dust and Ultraviolet rays are the main causes of Pinguecula.

It also occurs in people who live in hot, dry, XXXXXXX regions and spend a lot of time outdoors. The risk is also increased by not wearing sunglasses or a sun hat.

Usually it does not require any treatment.
However, if you get some discomfort or recurrent inflammation then it may be removed surgically under anesthesia.
2. A mole (nevus) in the eye is a benign pigmented growth on the conjunctiva similar to a mole on your skin.
Since it has changed its size, shape, color or bleeding there is nothing to worry about it. Most nevi do not require treatment however, if it is causing a cosmetic problem it may be surgically removed.

Hope the suggestions given above could be useful however if you any follow up query please feel free to send your query.
Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali