Suggest treatment for moderate size ostium secundum ASD in child

Cardiologist
Question
my son having 2 days age he has problem moderate sized ostium secundum ASD with Lt to Rt shunt greater than 2:1 ASD size 0.44 cm. kindly send me solutions for this. is there any future problems to my son.
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
please see details.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
Any shunt lesion which is more than 2:1 is significant. If there is no other abnormality on ECHO, the child should be carefully followed by a pediatric cardiologist. Most of large and moderate size ASDs will require closure, at some time in future, which can be done surgically or by percutaneous device closure. The indication for closure in most patients are large persistent shunt, enlargement of right sided chambers, features of heart failure, failure to grow normally and rising right sided pressures. Some of the ASDs may close spontaneously but they are usually small in size and shunt is usually less than 2:1.
I advise you to seek opinion of a pediatric cardiologist.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder