• question-icon

Suggest treatment for moderate pancreatitis

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: How can I treat moderate pancreatitis as home? YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Sunil 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow the suggestions given below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query-
Some measure that can be taken at home are-

-Eat a low-fat diet.
-Rest when you feel it is needed. Slowly start to do more each day. Return to your usual activities gradually.
-Do not drink alcohol. Abstinence from alcohol and greasy or fried foods is important in helping to prevent malnutrition and pain.
-High protein, nutrient-dense diets that include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low fat dairy, and other lean protein sources.

Patients with chronic pancreatitis are at high risk for malnutrition due to malabsorption and depletion of nutrients as well as due to increased metabolic activity. Malnutrition can be further affected by ongoing alcohol abuse and pain after eating. Vitamin deficiency from malabsorption can cause osteoporosis, digestive problems, abdominal pain, and other symptoms.
Therefore, patients with chronic pancreatitis must be tested regularly for nutritional deficiencies. Vitamin therapies should be based on these annual blood tests. In general, multivitamins, calcium, iron, folate, vitamin E, vitamin A, vitamin D, and vitamin B12 may be supplemented, depending on the results of blood work-Take a good quality multivitamin once daily.

Since your pancreas is not working optimally, you may not be getting the pancreatic enzymes you need to digest your food properly. Taking enzymes can help to digest your food, thus improving any signs or symptoms of steatorrhea (excess fat in the stool, or fat malabsorption). In turn this will improve your ability to eat better, lowering your risk for malnutrition.

Apart from that pancreatitis is a very serious condition which is not at all meant top be treated at home(especially in acute onset).

I would prescribe the following to my patients with similar complaints:
Capsule Aritrozyme one capsule twice daily with food. This is an antibiotic and is a prescription medicine.
Cap (multivitamin) once a day. This is available over the counter.

Hope i was helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist