Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for minor mestateses in spine, hip and rib cage

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 431 Questions
Background: Bone Scan identified minor mestateses in spine, hip and left rib cage. Doing Ct Scan tomorrow. Doctor is saying treatment likely to be a Lupron Regimen. My concern is that Lupron focuses only on decreasing Testerone. Another local cancer center focuses on using stereotactic body radiation thereapy. My doctor seems disinterested in that approach. Whree do I go for comparative analysis? Thanks
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prosttic carcinoma hormonal management

Detailed Answer:

Prostatic carcinomas are hormone dependent i.e., testosterone. We have to give a chance to testosterone reducing agents one of which is lupron. In addition to this you can use bone modifying agents like zoledronic acid or bone calcifying agents like Alphacalcidol so that the metastasis to bones can be delayed. A Radiation Oncologist will advise steriotactic radiotherapy which is his main tool. If the prostate does not shrink with hormonal therapy radiotherapy can be tried.

You need to have blood testosterone level to know if you really have high level of testosterone. If testosterone level is minimal and still the bone lesions are increasing possibly you are a case of castration resistant and lupron has no value. In such cases you may need steriotactic radiotherapy.
Also chemotherapy systemic may be needed which your oncologist will determine. This treatment is to be supplemented by bone modifying agents.

Initially you have to give trial to hormones particularly lupron depot.

Dr. J. Ticku
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor