Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for minor bike injury

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2585 Questions
Hi, Would you plz suggest antibiotic tablet to use for a small injury occurred while driving the bike ? Age :27 Sex :male PS: TT injection is already taken
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: You may not need antibiotic.... Detailed Answer: Hi, Small injuries do not necessarily need antibiotic treatment. They heal well without complications. If the injury is slightly deep (below the skin) you can use topical antiseptics like bactroban ointment during the day; keep it open at night. I presume you do not have diabetes or any other medical condition that cause delayed healing. In the absence of those immunocompromised state, I do not recommend antibiotic in this case. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for minor bike injury 8 minutes later
Thanks ,Injury is slightly deep (below the skin) , and not having any ailments related to diabetes ,As suggested i would use ointment
Answered by Dr. Prasad 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Proceed with topical ointments... Detailed Answer: Presence of foreign body is the most important reason for delayed healing after diabetes and immunocompromised state. I am glad you do not suffer from any such ailments. Keep the wound clean and dry at most times. You can use the antiseptic ointment either bactroban or neosporin - a thin layer on the wound. Do not rub the wound or cover it with thick layer of guaze. Air dry it at night. Small wounds should heal over a week or two. I would seek medical attention if its starts to hurt or if it starts to discharge secretions. Hope this helps. Please close this discussion if you do not have any other questions. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor