Suggest treatment for mild symptoms of autism in a 4 year old

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in ADHD
Question: Hello doctor,

My son is 4years old and we observed some mild symptoms of Autism in him.we consulted pediatrician and he suggested to start behavioural therapy and join him into autism school.my son is facing problem with talking especially responding to others.he has a good memory power and he do everything what we says all the time.other thing is he always repeats the words which we say....what shall we do

please help us to overcome this problem ......
Is it good to give birth to other child if first child is suffering from autism symptoms? will the second child helpful to first one to avoid loneliness in this condition or will he feel bad while comparing to other child who is healthy in all conditions please suggest us...
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Autism is a problem he brought with him from birth

Detailed Answer:
Autism is not an acquired illness. It is a mistake in the way his brain is wired. The good news is that its intensity reduces as the child grows, provided he gets behavioural therapy and excellent counselling from the correct professionals - this may mean a developmental paediatrician, a child educationist, a child psychologist, a social worker, a school nurse, and a general paediatrician to coordinate the other specialists.

If you are from a small city in XXXXXXX this may well be a big issue since all these professionals are not easily found in this country. I would suggest that you continue with whatever you have, and explore the net and job opportunities to try and relocate to a bigger city where you will find the complete team of professionals to deal with this problem.

It has become fashionable to recommend stem-cell therapy for autism, but this is still new ground, and please don't sacrifice your other comforts to create a fund for this form of therapy, which is prohibitively expensive. The same is true for chelation therapy, another untested and unproven form of treatment.

Coming to the second part of your question: let your decision on whether or not to have a second child not be based on the first child's condition, but on your preparedness to bring up the second child.

Take care, and be blessed.

Best wishes,

Dr. Taher
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Taher Kagalwala 42 minutes later
Thank you for your suggestion

My child is very much scared about sounds like train horn,musical toy sounds and even in darkness .He didnot see movie in a theater till now.will these comes under autism?

Following all the treatments,my child is 4 years old now and by how many years he will be in good condotion
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it does come under autism

Detailed Answer:
Children with autism often have hyper-awareness of some sensations. You will have to gently train him to accept these sounds and light conditions as he grows older.

Looking after an autistic child is no less than a heroic act, and I salute you and your partner for being so brave about this. I wish you ease and happiness in the years to come. There is no cure, but the condition may improve by the time he is in his teens. Of course, some issues with relationships and behaviour may remain throughout his life.

Dr. Taher
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T