Suggest treatment for mild prostate enlargement

Posted on Wed, 14 Dec 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Sir,
This is related to my mild prostate enlargement problem. At present I am 57 yrs old. In Dec 2014 I had ultrasonography of abdomen and pelvis done and it was found MILD PROSTATOMEGALY in the report measuring 4.4x3.4x2.9 (22cc) mild enlargement .

I have the problem of slow flow of urine and do not feel complete empty of bladder and after passing urine, when I sit or pressure is felt a few drops of urine drips out which is causing uncomfortable feeling. In 2014 Dec, doctor advised me to start GERISTART 0.4 MG and even after 3 months of taking I didnot feel any improvement or change then I was advised GERIFLO which also I didnot find of any help. After that I stopped that medicine as also I felt the effect of retrograde of semen.

Now, I am taking ALFUSIN-D medicine for the same problem and since last 2 days I am trying one tablet a day and the force of the flow of urine has increased and it seems to me that this medicine is positively effecting the problem.

Kindly let me know doctor, whether can I continue with this ALFUSIN-D and if so, how long should I continue the medicine and are there any telling side effects of this medicine in the long run if I continue the same for longer period.

Other medicines I take are - Rosutec 10 mg for cholesterol problem, eltronix 25 mcg for thyroid problem and Sibelium 10 mg for migraine problem. I have no BP or sugar or other problems other than the above.

Kindly advise.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to get Endoscopic Examination of bladder (Cystoscopy)done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have obstructive voiding symptoms mostly due to Bladder Neck Obstruction

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Have you consulted qualified Urologist to assess your problems ?
2) Have you done endoscopic examination of bladder (Cystoscopy) to confirm the diagnosis .?

Based on your statement your obstructive voiding symptoms are due to what is called as Bladder Neck Obstruction (B.N.O.)The normal weight of the prostate is 20 gms hence the prostate of 22 gms in weight can not be considered to be Enlarged Prostate

The cause for your obstructive voiding symptoms which I think are mostly due to BNO which needs to be confirmed by Endoscopic Examination of bladder (Cystoscopy).

The alfusin D is combination of Alfuzosin and Dutasteride. Alfuzosin helps to relax smooth muscles in bladder neck and helps to improve urine flow and Dutasteride component helps to reduce size of the prostate which I do think to be not required as you do not have significant enlarged prostate .You can take plain ALFUZOSIN .

Alfuzosin D taken over a in long term may reduce your sexual libido (Sexual desire )

I would suggest you to consult qualified Urologist for for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis with post void residual urine
3) Serum PSA.
4) Uroflowmetry
5) Cystocopy.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist