question-icon

Suggest treatment for mild fever, upset stomach and cough

Posted on Tue, 8 Dec 2015
Question: I HAVE A 10 YEAR BOY WITH LOW GRADE FEVER FOR THE LAST FIVE DAYS. (99.5 TO 101). FEVER IS REDUCED WITH CHILDREN'S PAIN RELIEVER. HE HAS AN UPSET STOMACH. DRINKING FLUIDS FINE. UPSET STOMACH STARTED TODAY AND HE SAYS IT NOT VERY BAD. OTHER THAN FEVER ONLY OTHER COMPLAINTS IS A COUGH.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani (8 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral illness - don't worry if he's active otherwise

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day.

If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all.

Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology