Suggest treatment for migraine

Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Last week I got a migrane for the first time in years, it was after an argument with my wife. Is this a need to see a DR?
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
not much need to consult a doctor

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

As you told this is first attack of headache you had that too following a stressful argument so no need to worry . Sometimes stress cause headache. So no much need to consult a doctor.

By one attack of headache it can't be labelled as migraine. Migraine is diagnosed by exclusion of other headache causes like visual disturbance , sinusitis etc.

I would suggest you to watch for one more attack. If you get then show to a physician and get the reason for frequent headaches and further treatment.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Deepika Patil 9 hours later
I had the visuals, about 20 minutes prior to the attack my eyes became blurry, like a fog was everywhere I looked. during thr attack I threw up about 15 times. the migraine itself lastwd 6.5 hours. This isnt my first migrane but it is my first in years. My grandmother on my fathers side is plagued by once a month chronic migrane s
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you need to consult your doctor

Detailed Answer:

After reading details about that attack i would suggest you to consult your doctor/neurophysician. It is confirmed it is migraine attack only. As you had a severe attack and you may be put on flunarzine prophylaxis to prevent further attacks.

Since you had severe attack and have family history there are more chances of getting frequent attacks further.

For acute attack you may take naproxen with domperidone tablet. In my previous answer I didn't advice consultation because I didn't knew the severity and family history and also that you are known migraine sufferer.

Hope I have answered your query .

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj