Suggest treatment for migraine, subdureal hematoma on both sides of brain

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: In November of 2013, I had a slow bleed causing a subdureal hematoma on both sides of the brain (5mm and 7mm). I was able to reduce it with steriods. Since I have had a problem picking out a word now and then. On April 1 of this year, I was in a car accident and recieved a Left transverse fracture of my L1. I am having a terrible migraine for a week, memory issues, bad nausea, diarreha, and now my ribs feel tigh and I feel like I cant breath, I have terrible lower back pain, and my right thigh is numb.......suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I am sorry about the symptoms you are feeling.

You seem to be have already tried options like antiinflammatory drugs and opioids without success, which makes yours a difficult case to treat.
The symptoms that you mention do not seem all related to one another, do not correspond to one single system/area involvement so I believe that some of them are at least partially due to anxiety like the feeling of not being able to breath.
Also if the pain onset was sudden on this last week, I wonder whether you got some type of imaging in the ER, because considering your history I think at least a lumbar xray or even better a spinal MRI are advised as well as head CT.

Anyway regarding the pain management, since the dosage of relafen is already high enough, the remaining medication options are either the addition of an anti-depressant like amitriptylin, duloxetin (not used for their antidepressive effect, but because they modulate chronic pain structures, are commonly used for that purpose) or an anticonvulsant like gabapentin or pregabalin (again for pain modulation effect not anticonvulsive one).

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist