Suggest treatment for migraine headaches and excessive vomiting
She should visit an ER and PUSH FLUIDS.
Good evening and I'm so sorry your daughter is feeling so badly with the headache but there really isn't going to be much to stop the N/V unless the migraine is stopped. I would recommend she proceeds to the nearest ER where they can treat her with a couple of options.
One would be with an IV infusion of Depakene which can be given as 1000 mg in a liter of solution and done over a period of 1 hr.
A 2nd option would be a trial of an IM injection or Nasal Spray of Imitrex which can be repeated at 30-60 min. if she still has any residual headaches.
A 3rd option would be a high dose steroid infusion such as Solu-Medrol. Again, like the Depakene I would recommend a full 1000 mg dosage mixed in 1-2L of fluid and given to her over a period of 2-3 hrs.
A 4th option which is often just as effective as the Imitrex in the Emergency Room setting would be an IM or even IV injection of Toradol. I always prefer the IM route since IV has been known to cause a bit of a higher incidence of nervous system side effects than IM such as convulsions as well as aseptic meningitis and that might make her headaches even worse.
Additionally, in the ER they could give her IV Vistaril and Phenergan for the nausea and vomiting but truly the best treatment is going to be the immediate cessation of the headaches. I would strongly advise that anyone stay AWAY from using narcotics, synthetic narcotics, or other controlled substances to treat the headaches. These are poorly effective as long term use medications and can cause dependency very quickly.
Therefore, things such as Tramadol, Fiorinal, Fioricet, Percocet, Butalbital, Codeine etc., should be thoroughly and completely avoided since they have no long term effect and usually can make N/V even worse...even if they do somehow work on the headaches.
Also, with all the N/V she is likely very dehydrated so please encourage that she ingest TONS of fluids and to stop taking anything in the way of diuretics, soda pop, caffeinated beverages, alcohol etc.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suffering from migraine headache is there any permanent treatment
- Migraine headaches treatment
- Is fiorinal used in the treatment of migraine headache ?
- What treatment is suggested for migraine headache
- Shortness of breathe migraine headaches what are treatment options
- Migraine headaches treatments in trippur
- Encephalomalacia due to accident causes migraine headaches treatment
- Treatment and cure for migraine headache
- Chronic migraine headaches treatment
- Treatment and cure for recurrent migraine headache
- Suggest treatment for daily headache along with dizziness
- Suggest treatment for attention deficit disorder
- Suggest treatment for muscular dystrophy and swollen genitals
- What causes numbness in feet and toes?
- Are headache, poor concentration and short-term memory symptoms of...
- What causes swollen, painful, red and warm spot on foot?
- What does cranial fluid measuring 23 indicate?
- What causes involuntary muscle contractions on left side of face?
- What are the symptoms to look after an injury to head?
- Suggest treatment for severe migraines