Suggest treatment for migraine during pregnancy

Excellent
Question
Are any Migrane tablets safe during pregnancy
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Codeine with tylenol

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
It depends. Narcotics, such as codeine (paired with Tylenol), are generally safe. But most of the other medications used are problematic.

Triptans (such as Imitrex or Maxalt) are out: Though they're probably safe, we don't have sufficient data on them. And you can't use nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs), like Motrin, because they can cause a heart defect in the fetus.

I also wouldn't recommend any medications that contain caffeine, because each pill is equal to a cup of coffee, and you might take about four a day, which is more caffeine than you should have during pregnancy. Doctors often prescribe Fiorinal, but that not only has caffeine, it also contains a barbiturate that shouldn't be used in pregnancy.

Finally, though beta-blockers can help migraines, they're iffy when taken during pregnancy. When used in the second and third trimester, they can cause neonatal hypoglycemia, which can retard the baby's growth and slow his heartbeat. These can be corrected, but it means the baby must be closely monitored. I'd also steer clear of Depakote; it causes neural tube defects in less than 1 percent of patients.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for migraine during pregnancy 5 minutes later
Is clonazepam safe

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
malformations like cleft palate, open eyelid and limb defects are seen after taking clonazepam during pregnancy specially in the early pregnancy.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for migraine during pregnancy 28 minutes later
How much is dangerous? I've been taking 1 mg daily since the start of pregnancy and I'm 10 weeks now

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop using it.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
It is not safe to use during pregnancy. It has shown birth defects in animals. Human studies are not available as no human is willing to participate in such a trial.
It is best to stop using it right now. Since you have taken it till 10 weeks it is best to go for detailed level II anomaly scan and other tests after 14 weeks as advised by your gynecologist to detect any defects early.
Regards.