Suggest treatment for migraine and headaches

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 12 Jan 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Yesterday, my mother was complaining of smelling burning chemicals or tar, which was followed shortly by a headache. The previous day, she complained of having the vision symptoms that accompany a migraine. She is walking as if she feels unstable (she's had MS for 29 years). Her blood pressure has been high for the past three days, as well. She was taking lisinporil and is now on metoprolol. Do these symptoms of a brain tumor?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Low chance of brain tumor.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I had gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Brain tumor symptoms are related by tumor localization.
Acute- subacute onset of new symptoms is more likely to happen from relapsing of Multiple sclerosis in your mother's case.
Another possibility could be a stroke or transient ischemic attack related to high blood pressure.
Yet another possibility of your mother's symptoms especially smelling disorder and visual disorder could be related to partial seizures.
Chances thet these symptoms are related to brain tumor are very low because of acute onset and other diseases being already diagnosed, but are not excluded 100 %.In my opinion these new symptoms need a careful evaluation by your mother's Neurologist. Hope this answers your question. If you have further questions feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T