Suggest treatment for metatarsal fracture

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 17 Oct 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I'm 10 weeks post 5th base metatarsal fracture I have a few questions. Ortho advised me to walk walk walk without doing an x-ray as he didn't feel there was any reason why it shouldn't of healed based on my age and diet. I still cannot walk properly as my foot still feels weak. I also get a grinding sensation on fracture when walking on it. It's not all the time. I decided to get it checked out at a&e who said they are not sure what it could be. I also have questions regarding my x-ray that I have attached. I feel that it had healed incorrectly with a bit of a gap. What will this mean? Is this causing the grinding? Will my foot refracture easily? Will the bump on my foot go? Iv had bump on foot since day one. It looks deformed a little. Will this be a problem? Do you think my bone moved since walking on my foot?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry about

Detailed Answer:
Hey XXXX

Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

How was your day?

Hope this message finds you in good health.

I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern.

1st thing i would like to mention that whatever be the patients age,fractures at base of 5th metatarsal are prone for non-union,due to a strong muscle tendon attached to its tip.

So,utmost precaution should have been taken by the doctor before he could make you walk. If the bone was found united strongly,then only you should have been advised to walk. You can upload any previous xrays so that i can advice you in detail about this point.

from the xray that you have posted, the bone seems to be uniting, but incompletely, the outer margin still seems to have a gap in the bony cortex. that is causing the foot to swell.

Unless the bone unites completely, this bump wont go away.it may well take 3-6 months for the bone to regain its original strength and this is quite normal. the bump wont remain forever

grinding feel is not because of the gap, but it may be due to the swollen soft tissues brushing against each other.

once united completely, this bone wont re-fracture easily,dont worry.

At present, the fracture seems to be uniting, so i would suggest you to take calcium and vitamin D tablets,compression bandage, hot fomentation and leg elevation with a pillow beneath, at night.

you can bear full weight on it,if you have no pain.

i would like to see a photograph of your leg and foot and tthe previous xray, if you could post it.

You should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about.     

I hope your question has been answered.

Feel free to consult me anytime for follow-up queries.

Take care,God bless.
Wish you a healthy life : )

If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion.

Kind Regards..

Dr Mahaveer Patil, (MBBS,MS,Mch)
Consulting Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon

In future,you can contact me DIRECTLY on - http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-mahaveer-patil/71222

-     If you were satisfied and happy with my answer ,PLEASE RATE THIS ANSWER AND LEAVE YOUR SINCERE FEEDBACK .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 20 minutes later
Hi thank you for your reply. I'm back at work I work in retail and am standing only 4 hours with sitting down. Iv been told that the gap will never heal. Is this correct? I'm seeing a physio who expects me to walk normally. Can I walk normally now? Can i wear normal shoes? Can the bone refracture now? It's nearly 3 months. Is walking good? What is your role? Are you an orthopaedic consultant? Iv attached my first x-ray and picture of my foot.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
you will be fine

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear XXXX

Welcome back
i have seen the pic and the xray

the gap will surely heal- 100 % no doubt. you will not see that gap after 3 months from now. so just remove any doubts in your mind regarding the gap.

you can definitrely walk normally and wear normal shoes too,unless you get a considerable swelling.

well, any bone can fracture / refracture if you fall again ;)
but, spontaneously it wont.
do walk,but not for long distances. only when its needed.

i am and consulting orthopaedic and trauma surgeon, practising for over 15 years now
I hope your question has been answered.

If you have any follow-up queries,feel free to consult me anytime
this is my number +0000 . am availabe on whatsapp on the same number,if you use it

If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion. Wish you a good health.Have a great day : )

Take care,God bless.      

YOUR RATING FOR THIS ANSWER MATTERS A LOT AND WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.

Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 13 minutes later
Hi but I was told in urgent care that the gap is too far apart to heal.

So walking on it is ok? When can I resume to my normal activities? Will I need surgery?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry about

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX..

you seem to be pretty anxious.
gaps more than this one, have healed completely, and i can tell you this from my experience of treating more than 15000 pateints of trauma till now.
walking is ok, strenous things like exercises,jumping, running should be avoided.

absolutely no surgery is required, neither now, nor in future

thanks
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 4 minutes later
I know doctor apologies. When can I resume to jumping, dancing, hiking? My job requires me to stand for 9 hrs will I be able too?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry about

Detailed Answer:
hi XXXX

no apologies needed :)
i am here to help you till you are 100 % satisfied and assured.

jumping,hiking,dancing will take another 2-3 months. you can get another xray done after exactly 2 months from now and show it to me. We will then decide when you can start these activities depending upon the healing of the fracture . Ok ?

you can stand for 9 hours even now, if its not continuous standing.
u can take 5 min breaks in between

whenever you need my help, u can message me anytime on my number : )

thanks. God bless