Suggest treatment for metastatic gastric cancer

Dr. Simit Jadia

Posted on Mon, 22 Dec 2014 in Cancer
Question: Gastric cancer resection - most of stomach, 15 lymph nodes, & vessels to spleen removed - with clear margins in November 2013. She was givwn 3 rounds of chemo before surgery & 2 rounds of chemo after surgery. November 2014 - Full hysterectomy, 1 ovary the size of a cantaloupe, other ovary size of soft ball, both positive for krukenberg tumors, lymph nodes removed positive for gastic cancer. 4 days after surgery hemotoma, blood loss, Dr removed 2 staples & leaking ascities. Was given a pt of blood. Dr said abdominal wall looks like someone took a paint brush and painted it with cancer. No cancer visually detected on organs. What's prognosis?
Answered by Dr. Simit Jadia 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
krukenberg tumor has not good prognosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have gone through your question.
As you said that in Nov 2013 operated for gastric carcinoma, and in Nov 2014 ovarian cancer/ krukenberg tumor is consequence of gastric cancer.
As krukenberg tumor is cancer of ovaries and in majority of cases it has it's primary origin else in the body and primary gastric cancer/ adenocarcinoma is the most common reason.
As your Dr said abdominal wall looks like paint brush with cancer then metastasis might happened to whole abdomen suggesting very BAD PROGNOSIS.
Cancer couldn't be seen visually in organs.
In this case chemotherapy or radiotherpy has limited role.
Hope i answers your question.
Would be happy to help you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Simit Jadia 16 minutes later
When you say chemotherapy and radiation has limited role. What do you mean. What is mean survival time for some in this condition.
Answered by Dr. Simit Jadia 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
i suggest bone scan to know exact metastasis stage

Detailed Answer:
Hi thanks for follow up query.
I have gone through your question.
Limited role of chemo n radiotherapy means its advantage is limited due to metastasis in abdominal wall. I would suggest bone scan to know the exact status of metastasis.
Mean survival in this case depends on many factors like pts age, her resistance power, tumor grading and Survival time varies widely from 6 months to 3 years.
Hope i answers your question.
Would be happy to help you further.